Can I just tell you how cool oatmeal is? It is such a great option for breakfast. First of all, it's extremely cheap compared to cold cereal. I buy the off brand for less than $2 (I think it cost $1.78 for 42 oz) and I can easily get at least 20-30 bowls, depending on how much I use. That's only 6-9 cents a bowl! I haven't noticed any difference between the off brand and the name brand. I think in this case, oatmeal is oatmeal. I bought a 25 lb bag of oatmeal for around $9. I'm not going to do the math on that, but it's obviously much cheaper than a normal size container. If you're feeling the urge to really eat a lot of oatmeal for cheap, buy bulk. It lasts for a long time as well. Another reason to love oatmeal is that it's very high in protein and fiber. Everyone can always use more protein and fiber in their diet. Just half a cup (dry) has 5 grams of protein. That's a lot for such a small amount. Dan and I have tried to eat more oatmeal for breakfast. I usually eat it about two to three times a week. Some weeks are better than others. I listed the nutrition facts. This is for a 1/2 cup. I usually make 3/4 cup. I need a big breakfast, so 3/4 makes a nice hearty bowl. So get out there and eat more oatmeal!
Serving Size: 1/2 cup dry (40g)
| Amount per Serving | |||
| |||
| % Daily Value * | |||
| Total Fat 3g | 5% | ||
| Saturated Fat 1g | 5% | ||
| Monounsaturated Fat 1g | |||
| Polyunsaturated Fat 1g | |||
| Trans Fat 0g | |||
| Cholesterol 0mg | 0% | ||
| Sodium 0mg | 0% | ||
| Total Carbohydrate 27g | 9% | ||
| Dietary Fiber 4g | 16% | ||
| Sugars 1g | |||
| Protein 5g | 10% | ||
| Vitamin A | 0% |
| Vitamin C | 0% |
| Calcium | 0% |
| Iron | 10% |
| Fat 18.0% Carbs 72.0% |
| Protein 13.3% |
2 comments:
Yay for oatmeal! I discovered steel cut oats recently, which is another reaseon to love oatmeal. Add raisins, craisins, nuts, bananas, blueberries, strawberries, (not all at once thought!) and you have a great meal.
Evan eats oatmeal often for breakfast because it is so cheap and hearty to eat! I should eat more oatmeal too. Thanks for the reminder. :)
Post a Comment