I bought this bed off of Craigslist for $40. I really wanted a black bed, but it was such a good deal and we didn't have a bed, just mattresses on the floor, so we got this bed. I tried once to just put black paint over it, but it wouldn't soak in. It has a kind of lacquer or varnish on it. So, I kind of forgot about it for a while.Then, I was talking to Dan about it and he suggested I put primer on it, then paint over the primer. I did a little test run on the bottom inside part of the leg and it looked really nice! So, I decided to paint the whole thing black!
It turned out really nice, I was very pleased. It looks like it was always black. However, getting it black was kind of a pain. It took 5 cans of spray primer to cover it all. I thought my hand was going to fall off. I was just holding the bottle down, trying to get the bed covered. It takes a lot of hand muscle to go through 5 cans! I sprayed it outside, then took each piece in and painted it on our kitchen floor. I started Thursday, but ran out of primer. Finished priming Friday, painted Saturday and Sunday it was all put back together! The best thing about this is the paint I used, I got it for free! So to get a nice "new" bed only cost me $55. Not a bad deal, if I say so myself. And this bed is nice, solid wood and very heavy, as I found out lugging each piece in to paint (Dan was gone, so I had to do it myself).
2 comments:
WoW!! Black is such a classy color. It looks so good. Especially with the white comforter. Nice contrast. Now a bunch of throw pillows to fill up the bed and it will look like HGTV.
Dang girl, you are so creative! You need to come to my house and give me some pointers! Seriously. Teach me how to improve my stuff! :)
Post a Comment