LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Friday, October 24, 2008

Working moms and the norm...

So I had an interesting experience today at the pediatrician's office, besides taking 2 hours just to get 4 shots (it was extremely annoying). She was talking to me about starting solids with Anna and suggested that I start on a weekend, that way I'd be with her more, assuming that I worked during the week. I told her I was a stay at home mom. Afterwards I was thinking about it and it's interesting and a little sad, how most people assume that mom's work and put their kids in daycare. It's become the norm now and has been for quite a while. I don't know why this struck me as particularly sad today. I love being able to stay home with Anna and take care of her. I would miss so much of her growth if I were at work. Sure, it's not sunshine and roses all day and every day, but there's no other place I'd rather be. I remember before I quit my job, occasionally feeling kind of sad for having to quit and not being able to advance in my work. However, a few weeks after she was born, I remember thinking that I wouldn't want to be any other place. Work was not worth missing raising my baby. 
I know that a lot of moms have to work or prefer to work rather than stay home. I'm not saying every mom has to stay home and raise children, but I honestly believe that part of the problems of today's youth comes from not having parents at home. They know their parents won't be home till 5 or 6 and it's easier for them to get into trouble. Anyways, I'm just thankful that we can afford for me to stay home and hopefully it will stay that way, seeing as how the economy is getting so unstable lately. 
On a happier note, Anna laughed for the first time yesterday. It was so cute! Dan started tickling her and she just gave this loud chuckle/laugh thing. It made us really happy. Also, she has started to roll from her back to her stomach. She's done it quite a bit the last few days. The funny thing is that after she rolls over, she doesn't know what to do next. Sometimes she gets fussy, other times she just kind of hangs out. It's pretty cute. 

3 comments:

Sarah Stout said...

I know! I totally agree. I see it all of the time in schools that kids are unstable and unhappy without parents around.

That's so sweet that Anna laughed! Awesome. Also, that's cute that she's rolling over and gets stuck not sure what to do next. That makes me laugh :)

Anonymous said...

I love how tastefully this is written. Such great comments. I agree with you 100%. I really hope that I'll be able to stay home with my babies

Anonymous said...

Oh and I'm excited to follow your blog! I was wondering if you had one and checked on Facebook to see if one was posted. I'm glad I'll get to see even more pictures of adorable Anna!