When Anna was about 11 months, I started painting her room and decorating it all cute. Alex has been in his room for almost 20 months and I just finally got around to actually trying to make it look cute. I was so tired of seeing this, every time I walked in.
Very blah, ugly dresser, plain crib, non matching lamp, etc.
Now, granted for about 10 months, there was other stuff in his room that prevented his room from actually looking like a room.
I actually started this back in the end of May, but just haven't gotten around to posting about it.
I decided to just paint an accent wall. I would have loved to have painted the whole room, but unfortunately there is still other stuff in his room that would have made it too much of a hassle.
I bought a quart of paint and decided to lighten it with some white. I did this for two reasons, I couldn't decide for sure on a color and I didn't want to buy a whole gallon of paint for just one wall, but needed a bit more than the quart provided.
This is the color that I came up with. I LOVE it! It's the perfect blue, exactly what I was going for.
I bought the crib off a lady in my ward, for very cheap. I seriously LOVE this crib. It's so pretty and nice. And a definite improvement from the other one (though I can't complain about the other one, since it was free).
Here is a close up of his dresser before. This was actually Dan's friend's dresser when they were roommates back in Utah. He moved to CA because he was in the air force. It was pretty beat up. There were sticker residue on a few drawers. It was missing all the knobs, except three. One of the drawers sagged on one side because it was missing a piece of wood. However, the wood and frame were still in good condition.
So I sanded down the drawers, not completely, but just enough to get the junk off. I fixed the sagging drawer. I filled in some of the holes from the handles, so I would only have to put on knobs. I then primed it and painted it white.
Before
After!
I finally finished the wall decor.
Here is some cute vinyl of his name.
I got the Wish sign for $2 or $3
The stars are metal and I spray painted them white. I got them on xmas clearance at Michaels from about $1.30 each last year.
The green sign was actually a fake canvas thing I found at the 99 cent store. I got a couple of them. I just spray painted it green and put vinyl on it.
Before
After
This is now what I see when I enter Alex's room. I love it, I really do.
He had a silver garbage can. You can't really see it in the picture, but I spray painted it the same green as the sign, so it matches. I really want to get a different glider, a white one, but we'll see if that happens.
And lest you think his room is "perfect," if you turn around by his crib, this is what you see. Haha.
Yeah, not exactly my favorite, but there is no where else to put this stuff. :( However, his room is such an improvement from what it was, I can't complain too much.

2 comments:
OH my goodness, Rachel! You did such a great job! It's funny what paint will do to totally make over furniture. I need to get a dresser for our bedroom and for the baby's room and am trying to get creative when it comes to looking at them online and visualizing what they can become. You definitely have a talent! :) The room looks awesome... even if Dan's stuff is on the other side of the room.
Wow. I absolutely love it! I love the bright white. So I def want your help when I paint our trundle bed and redo the dresser as well. Great job!
Post a Comment