
So, I don't know if this will come as a surprise to anyone. Maybe some of you. I finally read, for the first time, Pride and Prejudice. Gasp! I feel a little behind the times. I remember my best friend, Sarah, reading it in junior high. At the time, I wasn't familiar with the story and honestly, it seemed kind of boring to me. I kept that first impression with me for many years.
Then, for Christmas, my brother bought us a Kindle and we got the book for free. I finally decided to start reading it. It only took me, oh, about 3 months to read it! Mostly, because the only time I can read is after the kids go to bed and for a long time, Alex wouldn't fall asleep until 9:30/10:00-ish and honestly, after that, I would get ready for bed. He finally started going to bed earlier and I would spend about 15-20 minutes a night for a few nights a week reading it.
At first, I just thought it was okay, but about halfway through it got more interesting and I really started to get sucked in. To the point, where I would look forward to having some time to myself and be able to read it. One night, it was getting late, but I didn't want to stop reading (I was at the climax!), so I flossed and brushed my teeth while reading it (things you can only do with an e-reader), and as I washed my contacts. Dan came in while I was doing this and said, "Well, someone doesn't want to put her book down!" :)
So, now I can say, along with a million other girls, that I have finally read Pride and Prejudice and I enjoyed it, and overcame my previous inhibitions about it. Am I one of the love-crazed girls? No. Do I think Mr. Darcy is the best thing since sliced bread? Not necessarily. But it was enjoyable.
As I was reading it, I wanted to watch the movie (the new one), which I had seen a couple of times, but it had been a few years. I remember I liked the movie when I first saw it. However, after having read the book and then watching the movie, the movie kind of bugs me. There is so much left out. The plot feels rushed and there are so many small details from the book, but the actors say them so fast, or they're so obscure, that if you hadn't read the books, you miss them completely. So, I'm not really a fan of the movie anymore. I'm kind of curious about the 6 hour version, but at this point in my life, dedicating 6 hours to watching a movie just ain't happening.
So, what are your thoughts on Pride and Prejudice? Love it? Hate it? Don't care?
Has anyone seen the 6 hour version?
4 comments:
You should definitely watch the six hour one. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. Exactly like the book. I don't know if I even finished the new one I didn't really like it. And...you will love Darcy after the six hour one. It has stopping points good for pausing when you have kids : )
Oh, the long one is the VERY best!! Of course I haven't read the book.... but after watching that one, then the new one, I got annoyed with the new one because they left so much out from the big one so I can only imagine how much they left out of the book! Hope that made sense.... Anyway, I have it if you want to borrow it, I love it so much. One Christmas vacation when I was in high school, my mom and I watched it about seven times over the two week period, it is a chick flick for sure! Good memories, even Derek watched it with me once when we were engaged! :) He still quotes it, "Oh Capitol, Capitol!" He won't watch it anymore by the way :) He's too much a man! :)
I've never actually finished the book myself (kind of a source of shame) but I really love the six-hour movie. And I think George secretly likes it, too. We watch it together every two or three years over a couple of evenings. It's the best!
Haha... Thanks for the shout out, Rachel! Wow, I sure was obsessed with the book Pride and Prejudice back in the day as well as British Literature in general.
You know, I took a Jane Austen class in college and it only secured in my mind the thought that Jane Austen was MOCKING love-sick girls and the shananigans they go through to get married. I think that's why I like her books so much... not for the love stories, but for the SATIRE.
Post a Comment